Welcome to the Bahariya Oasis NGO
The oasis is situated some 220 miles south west of Cairo in Egypt’s Western Desert. It is sometimes called the Gate to the Western Desert as it is the first oasis in a series of oases which extend almost as far as Luxor. In the last few years more and more tourists have discovered the beauty of the oasis and the desert.Â·
In the year 2006 the Bahariya Desert lovers NGO was founded aiming to conserve nature and environment, at both Bahariya oasis and the White desert, and to develop the skills of natives working in eco and sustainable tourism.
Up to now its main task has been, in collaboration with the annual rubbish collection in the White Desert, to organise a rubbish collection in Bahariya also.
On one occasion courses have also been run for local drivers, dealing with first aid, geology, navigation and attitude to tourists.
Now we are asking for more
Now we would like to start projects to benefit and encourage the Bahariya inhabitants such as, and especially, taking care of children and increase environmental and cultural awareness amongst children and adolescents. Therefore, we seek to work side by side along with schools.
On top of our priorities is to establish the NGO club which would embrace school projects, children playground, sports, meeting areas and conferences. In addition to desert protection and further driver training we plan the following developments :
- The involvement of nursery schools and other schools in the annual rubbish collection to create an “Earth Day in Bahariya”. To this end we are planning regular teaching sessions on health and the environment in schools. With the aid of creative learning methods, appropriate to the age of the child, environmental and health topics are to be introduced as early as pre-school. Under the motto “Bahariya is our town and our home – keep it clean!” children and young persons will be made aware of environmental issues.
- An NGO Club. In out-of-school hours and during long holidays the club will consolidate the work done in schools by enabling children to engage in creative play and take part in various work groups. The emphasis will be on health and the environment without, however, neglecting fun and games..
- A second-hand shop. The intention is to sell collected and donated clothing (especially children’s) at a low price. Any profit will be used to finance NGO projects.
- An NGO shop. This will enable local people to sell their products to tourists, such as dates, olive oil, bread, biscuits and other delicacies, as well as embroidery and other souvenirs.
- Health centre support. Health centres are an alternative to public hospitals. They will have committed doctors, keen to help their patients. The NGO will help by making available medical equipment and material, such as bandages, crutches, splints etc.
We began work on these projects in April 2009.
- In October 2009 the NGO Shop was opened. The other shop is prepared.
- Also in October we gatherd children to colour collecting boxes, that were deposited in Hotels, Camps and shops.
- On 4th December 2009 the NGO organized a rubbish collection competition for children. They cleaned up Bawitis mainstreet.
- The appropriate education authorities have reacted positively to our plan.
We have began to create this website so as to attract your attention.
We need your support!
Whether it be your views, reports on similar projects in Egypt, clothing, gifts in kind or money, we are grateful for everything.